Best Affordable Pocket-Size Fujifilm Point & Shoot Camera for Black & White Photography

I don’t really shoot black and white a lot, until I tried black and white photography on this tiny pocket-size tight-budget camera.

Welcome back, my fellow shutterbugs! Today, we're diving into the intriguing world of black and white photography using a camera that's as budget-friendly as my monthly coffee habit.

But let's be real, all my cameras fall into that "tight budget" category.

So, drumroll, please! Allow me to introduce you to the fabulous yet discontinued Fujifilm XQ series, starring our hero, the Fujifilm XQ1.











I snagged this beauty for the princely sum of $122, and while it came with a few quirks - like a play button that decided to take a permanent nap and some missing screws - I've come to embrace its "imperfect" charm. It's almost like using a vintage film camera, and you know what?

I'm totally here for it! Now, when I first got my hands on this little pocket-sized wonder, I was practically bouncing with excitement. The reason? The promise of trying out different "film recipes."If you've been following my channel, you know I'm all about getting that film look from my digital cameras. Don't get me wrong; I adore my film camera, but let's face it, film photography can make your wallet cry more than a tear-jerker movie.

Fast forward to some epic experiments. I tried out various film simulations on this camera, which shares its sensor with the Fujifilm X100S - the X-Trans II sensor. But here's the plot twist - I didn't quite find the film sims that stole my heart. For color photography, my heart still belongs to my Fujifilm XE-1, sporting the OG X-Trans sensor.

 

People have been saying that the original X-Trans sensor has the most filmic look - it's like the George Clooney of camera sensors, timeless and charming. Now, let me spill the beans about how I stumbled upon the Fujifilm XQ series. There's this photographer on YouTube, goes by the name of Dee Rosa. He basically used his XQ2 as a pocket-sized monochrome powerhouse to replace his Olympus XA film camera. It turns out, the XQ2 and my trusty XQ1 are like two peas in a pod when it comes to specs.

So, I thought, "Why not try some black and white magic on my XQ1?" The only catch - Dee Rosa didn't spill the beans on his specific black-and-white recipes. Time to put on my lab coat and experiment!

The results? Let's just say I was more shocked than a character in a good mystery novel. You can customize your settings to create black-and-white images that match your unique style. I'm seriously considering making this tiny camera my go-to for black and white photography. I mean, just look at it; it's so compact, it practically moonlights as a front pocket accessory.

It's become my daily sidekick, joining me on all my photography escapades. The autofocus is impressively quick and responsive, even in challenging low-light conditions. Additionally, it features built-in In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) for added stability. What I really like about this camera is how fast the shutter is. There is almost no delay.

Well, this pocket-size camera is really designed to be a premium point-and-shoot camera. You also have this front ring, which is very handy. Me personally, I like to set it to change my aperture, as I mostly shoot on aperture priority mode in this camera. So, folks, stay tuned for more black and white photography adventures with the Fujifilm XQ1. We'll be exploring different recipes and sharing the stunning results.[]

L&P Monochrome Green

Monochrome+G
Dynamic Range DR400
Highlight +2
Shadow +2
Sharpness +1
Noise Reduction -2
White Balance: Auto
ISO: Auto up to 3200



Comments

Popular Posts